Friday, February 25, 2011

The Reason I Blog

Yesterday I had a great cleaning day, the kind of day where you feel accomplished and slightly light-headed from all the fumes you've breathed in. So between Brian coming and home and starting dinner, I decided to lie down for a little while. I didn't feel like starting a book but also didn't want to fill my already cluttered mind with television, so I picked up our coffee table book which happens to be my grandma and grandpa's life story. It starts out with my grandma's account of her life, something so special to us because she died quite a few years ago of cancer. Grandma Tess was an amazing woman, the kind of person that fills the spotlight of a room with her wit and humor, and can get away with the occasional swear word or two because you just have to laugh. I loved hearing her voice in my head as I read her words from a long time ago, and even laughed out loud a time or two. This passage in particular had me on the verge of tears while making me smile:

"The next spanking I ever got came when I ran behind Faye's boyfriend's car. It was a truck and I was hanging on for dear life, my legs just a flying."

The picture of my grandma running behind a car "legs just a flying" makes me laugh so hard because I really can picture it perfectly. In my family we often say "That's such a Broderick thing" in reference to anything funny, daring, or witty.

The reason I'm blogging about this is because it made me realize exactly why I feel the need to blog about everything. I print out my blogs in an easy "blog book" that I have on my coffee table with all the pictures and texts I've put on here. I like to think that one day my grandkids will open up one of my books and discover how much I loved to read (a fun fact that I learned my grandmother also loved to do.) Or how I started taking pictures when I was 21. Or see how much I loved my family, not just my husband and child but how close my siblings and I are, too. These things are part of our family history and maybe someone will laugh one day when they read my story.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

how do you print them out? i've never done that, but it's a great idea.

Kaitlin Welty said...

I use this website called Blurb its http://www.blurb.com/my/dashboard its the best thing because its SO easy and cheaper than scrapbooking. I'm pretty sure they send out 20-30% off coupons a lot (especially around holidays) and its a nice hard-bound book of your blog. Next time you come over I'll have to show you mine!

Michelle Y. said...

Great post Kait! I haven't read your blog since before I had Tallen so it was fun to get caught up on it. I LOVE the pics you took of Tallen and I was just telling Nicole today that I would have had major post partum if you weren't there and I was crying in the hospital just thinking of mom not being at my house when I came home. You definitely made things so much happier for me. Thank you!