Thursday, February 17, 2011

Determined to Fight Cancer

Have you ever seen the movie Julie & Julia? It's about a woman who starts a blog as she cooks through the Julia Child cookbook. Brian and I felt, as I'm sure just about everyone else did, invigorated after watching the film and felt determined to start a blog that would hook thousands of readers and end in a book and movie contract based on the blog. Of course, those dreams were abandoned within a few hours and probably never spoken of since. While I'm not starting a blog about this adventure, recent events have sparked my interest in blogging about something meaningful to me. Let me explain.

As many of you probably know (because I'm pretty sure only immediate family even read this blog :) ) my darling, sweet, kind, loving sister Kim was diagnosed with breast cancer. The fact that within a little over a year of my mom dying of non-smoking lung cancer after a 5 year battle with it, my dad, aunt, and sister were all diagnosed with some kind of cancer. This could almost be comical if it wasn't so devastating and crippling to my family. This extremely rare hereditary disorder called Li Fraumeni that resides in my family's gene pool has been ever present in my life, and I think I have become almost indifferent to it. Li Fraumeni is basically just a gene that some people in my family have that makes us more susceptible to cancer, to put it simply. So you can understand how in my mind it seemed that "You get old and you get cancer, and that's that." I don't want to sound like I am complaining, and the last thing that I want is people's pity, but all I'm trying to say is that this looming threat that seems to have always been in my future has finally made an appearance in my generation. My sister Kim was the first to find out she had cancer out of all our siblings and cousins, and it was a wake-up call to someone totally apathetic to the idea of cancer. The fact that someone so wonderful as Kim could get diagnosed at such a young age of 31, with 2 kids ages 4 and 9 months, just chills me to the bone with fear and pessimism. So my solution? To start eating healthier, and this is where the blog comes into play.

My goal is to start eating healthier. Of course, I know myself and my usual plans to "start exercising everyday" or "stop drinking soda" usually end before they've even started. That's why I'm putting some accountability on myself so that when friends or family ask me how my little "project" is going, I won't be able to say, "That journey ran its course." Instead I'll be encouraged to tell people that I'm eating healthier and loving it. I got 2 cookbooks in the mail today and I can't wait to dive in. My goal is to have at least one of those meals a day (again, I know myself and I know that I won't be able to go cold turkey on potato chips and corn dogs, so I'm pacing myself). If I like a recipe, I'll post it on this blog. If I don't, I'll just skip it.

Let me make a few disclaimers. I don't think that eating organic or more fruits and vegetables will stop me from getting cancer, I'm not that naive. If I'm supposed to get cancer, I'll get it, but at least I'll feel that I didn't do anything to help it, and I'll feel prepared. Also, I don't think that anybody who doesn't eat this way should be doing it or they'll get some life-threatening disease, or that those who have been diagnosed with cancer could have done anything to stop it. Once again, in our family if you're gonna get it, you're gonna get it. I'm just excited to start learning about superfoods that help me fight it and to hopefully start starving cancer early.

So... Who's with me to fight cancer? ; )

8 comments:

Unknown said...

your family is probably the only family i know that is strong enough to go through everything yall have been through and still constantly have your hearts, and minds in the right place meanwhile being gracious and optimistic. i admire you & your family for that. my sis in law is going to start teaching me how to cook healthier, let alone how to cook. i kinda suck and its something i wish i could do! im excited to see how it comes along.. :)
-mckayla

Michelle Y. said...

I am ready to fight cancer with you! After I have the baby I am going to make myself be better at working out. I also know I need to be better at eating healthier. Kim and Ross eat super healthy and probably the most healthy in the family so I can't believe it happened to her. I am so over all of this sad news. I am going to get tested asap. I went to the dr yesterday to find out where I need to start and what genetisist I should go to.

Kaitlin Welty said...

McKayla- You are too sweet, and I'll let you know of any good healthy recipes that I come across!
Michelle- That's another goal is to start being a little more active everyday, even if it just means going on a 30 min walk! I'm getting tested when I turn 28 at the latest, thats my goal, but hopefully whenever we get on some good health insurance, preferably if/when Brian gets a good job with good benefits. I talked to Dr. Gampule about 6 months ago about getting tested but it didn't work out with insurance and stuff so we're just waiting until it does.

welty family said...

We are really saddened to hear about your Sister Kim. We can feel your faith as you write. We're with you through and through. Tadlee & Carrie

Rick and Jenny Runyan said...

This is something I have been thinking a lot about lately as well! But I feel like I am so much lacking in knowledge-I don't even know what the cancer super foods are! So please, post the recipes you like! Your family has been on my mind so much lately. I love how you said, 'starve' the cancer. My dad tested positive for the Li Fraumeni so I have been wondering if there is any way I can combat it now. So you will be my example! My prayers are with Kimberly every day and I know she is a fighter so I am hoping for the best for her.

Hilary said...

great blog, kaitlin. my heart goes out to your sister and her family.

Kaitlin Welty said...

Jenny- I didn't know that your dad tested positive also, I don't know about you guys but I think me and all my siblings now want to be tested also. I really don't know anything about the superfoods except what I read off of Dr. Oz's website ; ) Papaya, shrimp, beets, and cashews are supposedly great, I'll try and post any fun/interesting information I find!

Thanks everyone for your support!

Kristen Cook said...

Kaitlin,

Hi! I hope it's ok that I took a quick peek at your blog. I have a few times before (address on facebook), but then I couldn't remember your blog address until you posted it again. Sorry to hear losing your mom. I remember that you quickly left U. Courtyard to be with her. I enjoy looking at your family pictures and glad everything worked out for you to have a healthy, happy, smiley little baby boy. And he is darling! A good mix between the two of you. Much love Kaitlin. I'll keep checking up on you!