Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I Love You Through and Through

So as most of you probably know I'm a huge reader, and I really thank the Harry Potter books for that. I started reading them when I was in 5th grade and just read them over and over and over (would it be ridiculous to admit I probably read the first 4 about 20 times each??) So once I realized that there were other books out there besides Harry Potter I just went crazy, and am now proud to say that I have a small little library of my own that fills up 2 bookshelves. Naturally I really want Jackson to pick up that same love for reading that I grew up with, so I've started reading to him whenever possible. The first few times were a little discouraging because he would lose interest within, hmm, about 2 seconds, but lately he has absolutely loved it when I read to him. He gets quiet and starts touching the little pictures, and he even helps mom turn the pages now! His favorites are:


and


No matter what Jackson will almost always stop crying and pay attention and smile whenever I open these books, they saved my life on the 10 hour car drive to and from Arizona! I hope that as he grows up he learns how amazing reading is and get transported into different worlds just like I did when I was little! Something tells me he will : )



On a similar note I've been re-reading the C.S. Lewis books The Chronicles of Narnia. I read some of them when I was little but I don't think I retained very much because I don't remember anything I've been reading! Anyways I was thinking about the question that is often asked, "If you could meet anyone in the world, dead or alive, who would it be?" (This is excluding prophets, of course) I finally have my answer: C.S. Lewis. First of all, what a cool guy to just hang out with J.R.R. Tolkien and decide to write books that have underlying Christian themes! I know some authors have attempted the delicate art of relating their characters to Christ, but sorry J.K. Rowling it take more than that to write a great analogy of Christ. Secondly, you just don't see his writing style these days anymore. I think the reason why my favorite books are from authors that are no longer alive is because they have a feel to them that you just don't see anymore. I don't think authors today could capture the intricate revenge plot of Edmund Dantes in The Count of Monte Cristo, the lovable characters of The Princess Bride, or the pure magic and wonder of the Narnia series. (And yes, I do read books besides the ones that are made into movies, its not my fault they've made the best ones into movies! Haha) Anyways, back to C.S. Lewis, I honestly think he must have known something, you don't write books like The Screwtape Letters and Mere Christianity without a greater knowledge of the Christian Church than most have. If you want an awesome short story that can be related to Christ on so many different levels, read the chapter in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader entitled "How the Adventure Ended" and you'll see exactly what I mean when I say, "He knew something." I can just picture the amazing stories he would tell and the great bits of wisdom he would say if I were to meet him, and while I myself wouldn't add much to the conversation, just to sit and chat with the man that prophets and apostles have quoted countless times would be the most amazing experience.

No comments: