Friday, February 15, 2013

Colton James Welty: {Part 2}

Colton weighed 8 lb 6 oz and was 20 1/2 inches long. (Jackson was 8 lb 1 oz and 20 3/4 inches long)
 This was the point when the lady taking his measurements turned into a professional photographer and set up some pictures for us. Don't you just love the purple glove?? :) Haha I'm just kidding, she was really nice and wanted us to have some cute pictures...
 This picture below freaked me out. I didn't know they shoved tubes down his throat until later when I was looking at these pictures. I guess it was to clear out his throat and the amniotic fluid from his stomach so he would eat better the first time.  (Which, by the way, he was a champ at breast feeding from the get go. I thought it took them forever to get him back to me so that I could feed him and that the nurses were being a little chatty while weighing him, but maybe that's just the crazy over protective mother in me talking.)






 Michelle was so awesome and not only took care of Jackson for basically a week but also took all these lovely pictures for us. Last time Brian was taking the video and snapping pictures so we don't have much from Jackson's birth because Brian was also supporting me. This time Brian was able to just be with me while Michelle juggled all the picture and video taking. Thanks Michelle :)
 I included this picture because when I was waiting for them to give Colton back to me I decided to look at the menu. Because I had gone into labor first thing in the morning I hadn't eaten anything that day. After I pushed him out I was really shaky, like the menu was visibly shaking in my hand I was so shaky. I think it was a mixture of the hunger and my body having gone through such an ordeal. Anyways, I looked over the menu and ordered chicken and dumplings, broccoli, and mashed potatoes. Pretty boring meal and not really something I would usually order. The next day when I looked at it again I was like "Is this the same menu!?" I saw all these high class meals like salmon and really nice cuts of meat, I think I was a little out of it when I ordered that first meal :)
 When Jackson came to visit the first time we decided we would have Colton tucked away in the corner when he first got in. That way we would have some bonding time with Jackson to show we still loved him and let him discover and be curious about Colton on his own, instead of shoving him in his face so to speak :) When Jackson walked in he took one look at us and walked back out. He was so clingy with Michelle it was funny. That's just his personality, he's always been super attached to whoever he's been with the longest that day, so we weren't offended. We had to bribe him with a sucker to get him to sit by me.
 He eventually discovered Colton on his own and knew who he was immediately. We had been showing him videos of himself as a newborn to get him prepared for what a newborn looks like and to see mom and dad interacting with a newborn. We called the baby in the videos "Colton" even though it was actually Jackson, and we were worried it would confuse him when we started calling a different baby "Colton". Good thing Colton looked so much like Jackson that there was no confusion and Jackson knew exactly who Colton was right away without us needing to even tell him.




 He loved him right away and immediately started giving his baby brother kisses. I've got to be honest, we didn't have high hopes that Jackson would love being a brother and we've been so pleasantly surprised at how well he's doing! He's really soft and loves giving Colton kisses, holding his hand, and stroking his head. We rarely need to remind him to be soft, and the only time Colton really gets any negative attention from Jackson is just when he's in the crossfire of one of Jackson's two year old toddler tantrums.



No comments: